Welcome to our series of blogs for prepping your home for sale on a budget. One of the questions we get asked the most is “how do I get top dollar for my house without putting a lot of money into it?” We realize that the last thing you want to do when selling your house is put a lot of money into it, however, what we are going to talk to you about today is going to ensure you get the best bang for your buck.
Even a small budget can go a long way in the kitchen. Kitchens sell homes. This can be the make or break it room when someone is making the decision on whether they are going to buy your house. So, let’s talk about how we can stretch your budget and make your kitchen the reason your house sells for asking price or above.
Updating Your Kitchen on a Budget
Kitchens are the most important room in the house. It’s the heart and soul of the home. Even if a buyer is not much of a cook, the kitchen is still where family and friends tend to gather. Keep it simple in style and color and don’t over personalize the space. It is normally best to stay with neutral tones that buyers can imagine their style in.
· If new granite is out of your budget, consider either re-grouting the kitchen counter tiles, which is surprisingly cost effective, or covering them with granite tiles instead of granite slab.
· For wood cabinets, stripping the finish and re-staining or painting will save you more money than re-surfacing the cabinets.
· Buy new knobs and / or pulls for the cabinet doors. If you have 40 or so knobs on your kitchen cabinets, at a cost of about $5 per knob, your total outlay for new hardware will be about $200. New hardware will transform the appearance of your cabinets.
· Consider installing kitchen pendant lights over the sink. Cost: About $500.
· Replace current outlet covers with new outlet covers that have USB ports.
· Install a new faucet. It will make the sink area pop and look refreshed. Cost: About $100-200.
· Add Crown Molding across the top of your cabinetry. This can give a custom look to stock cabinets.
· Install a new back splash. This will help to completely update the look of your kitchen. There are many peel and stick options out there that are easy to install and grout free.
Bonus Tip: Before an open house or a showing, bake a tray of cookies. The smell of fresh cookies will leave people with a happy and welcoming feeling when they are in the house.
You don’t have to do all of these, but definitely discuss with us the best options for your house to get top dollar. We have your best interest in mind, will offer you the best advice, and guide you in the right direction. Give us a call, our clients are our top priority.