Welcome to our series of blogs for prepping your home for sale on a budget. We want to walk you through the mentally daunting (at least this is what you think it is) project of getting your home ready to put on the market. We will give you tips and show you how to do it on a budget and not break the bank, all while having a real impact in the visual appeal of your house.
As real estate agents, we are often asked “how do I get the most for my house without putting money into it?” We realize that when you are selling your home, the last thing you probably want to do is spend a bunch more money on it. However, in our professional opinion and experience, if you want to get top dollar for your home, some expenses can be a necessary evil. That being said, even a small budget can go a long way.
Freshening Your Bathroom on a Budget
· If you have wallpaper in the bathroom and it is peeling, it should be removed. You can rent a steamer to remove the wallpaper or strip it yourself.
· Consider replacing the toilet and vanity, especially if they are stained or particularly outdated. A new toilet and vanity can cost less than $500 and are relatively easy to replace.
· If the tub is stained, hire a professional to refinish it.
· Replace water-stained shower doors, clean them with a lime dissolving detergent, or take the doors off and install a rod and an eye-catching curtain.
· Hang fresh towels and lay down a new bath rug.
· Place scented candles near a basket of tightly rolled wash cloths to create a spa-like environment.
· Stash all personal items under the bathroom sink.
· Tile your counter top. This is less costly than a new granite slab and is a quick update.
· Update your cabinet hardware and accessories. Small details have a big impact.
· Update your faucet and shower head.
· Give your bathroom a fresh coat of neutral paint. Light gray is a wonderful option.
· Replace light fixtures. Pick something clean and modern to fit the space.
If you are not sure where to start, or if you have questions on what the most important task for you is, talk to us. We are professionals and are here to guide you to get the most for your sale. We take pride in being there for our clients, as should all real estate agents. Give us a call, our clients are our top priority.